Friday, June 30, 2006

How will you cope when sorrows come?

"The new shirt that I just bought from Bali had stains on it!" I was a little upset to discover this when I was hanging the shirt(that i've wore just once) to dry it. I felt like I've lost something dear(which wasn't actually) and there's a sudden low. Of cos it did not affect me for long but the effect it had on me drew me back to the days when I've lost or nearly lost something. I remembered the time when my PDA(which contains all my sermon notes and journals) broke down and I was very upset. I actually flew into a rage(*tsk tsk*) but calmed down later and prayed, asking God to 'heal' my PDA. It didn't happen immediately but my PDA was okay the next day, but the data was gone.(Thank God that there's such a thing as a backup, although it was not the most recent one) I can't believe that the sense of loss caused me to flew into a rage. This time, it pricked my heart a little, giving me a sudden low feeling. I wonder how I will feel if my parents passed away. How will I cope in that situation?

Reading up the life of early missionaries showed/taught me how they cope with grief and sorrows. William carey's wife became mad and died. Jim Elliot died and left his wife behind at a pretty young age. John Paton's wife died, followed by his child. And many others too with such stories. But even with these sorrows, these heroes of God cling on to Him. They overcame their sorrows and press on to finish the task God has given them and they all finished their race on earth. It is indeed inspirational. But where do they get their strength from in those difficult hours? Reading and knowing the book of Job helps, but I think their greatest source of strength and comfort comes from Christ Himself. Jesus was described as a man of sorrows and familiar with suffering. Isaiah 53:3 - "He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering." If our God is familiar with our suffering on earth and have tasted it Himself, surely He knows how we feel when such situations arise. We all know that God can comfort us and give us peace beyond our understanding but will we run to Him in trying times? Can we still sing when tragedy struck? Our walk with Him now will very much determine that outcome.

Listen to the song of Horatio Spafford, who wrote this song soon after his 4 daughters died tragically.

When peace like a river attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea-billows roll,
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to know;
"It is well, it is well with my soul."


(Click here for complete lyrics and short story)

No comments: