Friday, April 27, 2007

Disappointed? No, I chose to give thanks

Maybe it is because we have had too much that we often complain. Perhaps you're not one but I must admit I do complain every now and then, even if my complaint is just a passing remark. I remembered I complained about being cheated of a few dollars in Siem Reap, Cambodia when the motor taxis tried to increase their rates every now and then with some excuses. To this complaint, God says, "hey, you have the priviledge to tour Angkor Wat and is able to afford the transportation and accomodation cost for this holiday. Shouldn't you be giving thanks?" Yes, Lord. Sorry for complaining. I will give thanks instead, because I am so blessed and that is the truth.

On my return to Singapore for my PR renewal for another 5 years, the officer said that the immigration dept. can only give me one year. Was I disappointed? Kind of, as I was hoping for 5 years and hence do not have to travel back now and then from my mission field. Strange enough, the officer told me about the criteria and chances of getting 5 years which I was not told in my last year's application. They normally don't say a thing about criteria. And as if to convey a message from God to me, she smiled and said, "See you again next year". Ok Lord, are you telling me something? But this time, no complains. I give thanks for another year of PR status.

This morning I was told that maybe I might not be heading back to Timor after all. 'Strange' enough, I was not very disappointed. A little, yes, as I was hoping to meet some friends and also get my stuffs back. Other than that, I was pretty much emotionless and just take it as it is. I think God has prepared me for this in the one year renewal process, which is to say, "Whatever it is Lord, have Your way. You know best. And in this, I can give thanks."

Nothing too big to complain about and nothing too great to be disappointed about. In each situation, we can always give thanks and trust that our ever loving God will steer us in the right direction. What we expect might not be what He wants for us and when expectations are not met, disappointements can arise. But if our expectation is:"Lord, You do it Your way. I just follow", then disappointments need not arise because you know that your present circumstances is what God has allowed and you'll find peace and joy instead.

I'm not exactly bouncing with joy now :) but I am very sure God has everything in His hands and He will direct my paths. And anyway, nothing is confirmed yet so I might still be heading down to Timor. So I "give thanks in all my circumstances for this is God's will for me in Christ Jesus" 1 Thessalonian 5:18. Give thanks and cheer up folks! :)

No comments: