Monday, February 08, 2010

Football and Spiritual Lessons

We're not into the 2nd half and Arsenal is already 2 goals down. By now, I've stopped watching because 1)I'm very frustrated 2)I don't have the faith to believe they'll equalize, let alone win. I'm very frustrated because they are making the same defensive mistakes. Can you equalize Arsenal? Can you prove me wrong Arsenal? It's too painful to continue watching. I'll know the result tomorrow.

On a sidetrack, there're many spiritual lessons we can learn from football. Examples:
1. I thank God that He is faithful and He will win the day - unlike the uncertainty of Arsenal winning every game. God always win. The result may be 2-0 but He'll win 2-3 or probably more. He'll win - that's for sure - cos He has already won on the cross.

2. Sometimes I wonder if God is feeling as frustrated as me when he watched our lives being played out on earth like a football match. Like Arsenal, we may be smart & having great potential but prone to repeating our mistakes and slow in changing our ways. Don't you think God gets frustrated? My pledge to Arsenal is that I'll remain its supporter no matter what - but I don't have full faith in believing they can win the title or beat Chelsea tonight. God is somewhat similar but very different. His pledge is that He'll remain our God no matter what - and unlike me - He is faithful even when we are faithless(2 Tim 2:13) And as much as He is frustrated and as much as it pains Him to see us fumble like Arsenal, He'll not let go and will cheer us on all the way. What a great God we serve.

Back to the topic, R.I.P Arsenal or prove me wrong.

1 comment:

blogpastor said...

I can relate to what you are feeling.

Its more likely that God feels more like Arsene Wenger: still believing his kids can put it together.

I like your football analogy.