Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Give due credit and respect

Ever heard of this 'catch' phrase we foreigners often use when we are in a third world country? "Oh, we must EMPOWER the locals. Must teach them this and that and EMPOWER them." Let me clarify. I have nothing against imparting knowledge and skills, and I certainly think it is good to help the local people to learn certain skills that will enable them to do certain things independently. But sometimes, we are so conditioned in our minds about our "superiority" as a foreigner that we don't even realise that sometimes we belittle the locals. We always talk a lot about helping them to gain confidence and be independent but our words sometimes suggest otherwise. I have this Khmer staff working with me on computers and the picture painted to him is that I am some sort of rocket scientist that will 'impart' to him all my skills and know-how. I got to work with him once before I officially joined the team and I noticed that he knows his computer stuffs well and he has a natural analytical mind that is very good for computers. It is true that there are stuffs I know which he doesn't but he already knows quite a fair bit and that's quite something for a person without a formal computer education and who started off working as a security guard!

It's the afternoon and the "encouraging" words rang loud and clear again in the office and I could see the cleverly concealed embarrassed look on his face. Well, I sincerely believe those words are really meant to encourage him but it is put in such a way that it doesn't sound like it, at least not to an adult. Maybe a child will think of it as an encouragement to learn but to me, it really sound like belittlement. Perhaps the person trying to encourage him do not know where his computer skills level is at but still, that cannot be an excuse for being insensitive. I happen to hear something similar in 3 different occasions and each time, I can see that his head is slightly bowed, as if to agree that he knows next to nothing. It is no wonder why some local people never rise up. And that's because we still treat them like little children, not trusting them to do a good job and not giving them room for failures so that they can learn. Let us treat them as adults and not little children, and give them respect and credit where it is due. Phil 2:3

No comments: