Saturday, October 06, 2007

Are you losing Jesus's compassion?

On one morning devotion, my friend in bible school shared on Luke 7:12-15 about the compassion of Jesus - how Jesus had compassion on the widow and raised her dead son to life. So often we approached praying for healings and miracles with bravado and thoughts of "will i fail or succeed?", and forgot that compassion should be the factor that drives us to pray for miracles. It was a timely reminder for me. Am I losing my compassion for the lost? Am I connected to Jesus's compassion for those who are hurting in this world? I think I have left His compassion somewhere. It is a wake up call.

As I watched the video about the plight of prostitutes in Cambodia, how young girls were sold or tricked into the sex trade, at one point i couldn't help but wept. I felt so overwhelmed when hearing their stories about their past, their rescue and their present hope. These are the 'lucky' ones that have been rescued. But there are many more out on the streets who do not have this hope. They are living in darkness everyday and they are captives to this trade. Isaiah 61:1-2 rang out loud - "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind the broken hearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favour." Who will go? Who will rescue them? Who will set them free? Who will bind their broken hearts?

...what can I do? I could only cry out to the Lord. "Father God, save them. Let all who have heard you respond to your call to rescue these helpless children of yours. Yes Lord, your precious children who are created in your own image with value, with dignity, with a purpose and a destiny in their lives. May You rescue them O Lord."

No comments: