Thursday, October 25, 2007

Everything in His time

The end chorus of Corinne May's song, Everything in its time, goes like this - "...I promise you, the answer will come. Hold on to patience and watch for the sign. Everything in its time...".

I think patience(waiting) is one of the toughest thing to learn in our world today. We want instant answers, quick solutions and equate patience as being laid back. You feel there are eyes looking at you and 'questioning' your wait - most the time, these are really our own imagination and prideful fear.

Waiting is really 'hard work' because you have to find something meaningful to do while waiting and sometimes you wonder if what you're doing is purposeful or not. This calls for a tough mental workout because the battle is in the mind. You'll be tempted to flirt with rash decisions, go with your emotions and make choices with poor reasons. If we don't get the Word of God into our hearts and minds, we are finished in this world. Our decisions will always pain us.

The song aptly sang the things we ought to do while waiting, i.e. to hold on to patience and watch for the sign. If we truly believe that God is in control and that He has the best interest for us, then we can do that. We can then brush aside what we're feeling right now and not make a decision based on it. We can say no to taking certain actions because we know for sure that God had not spoken - there was no 'sign' from Him.

I think what I've experienced recently made me understand what I've just said a little more. When I saw how God is beginning to open doors to East Timor again, I realised why I had to wait and how my wait has benefited me so richly. I had gained a wealth of knowledge and experience from those who are more experienced in community work and in church planting. My learning fitted perfectly into the new work which I am about to embarked on.

I also waited for another event which I can now thank God for enabling me to wait. It was in a way supernatural. After making my decision, God later on revealed the reasons in a most obvious manner. It was awesome. "...hold on to patience and watch for the sign. Everything in its time...." Hold on my friend. The time will come.

No comments: