Sunday, February 24, 2008

My faithful God who is always near

It is strange how we naturally draw near to God in times of pain and felt Him so much closer than before. I spend more time praying, reading His word and reflecting. I began to enjoy and speak with delight His words because they meant so much more to me now as I can identify with the meanings much more than before. I felt I became 'sharper' spiritually. Am I in denial? No, I don't think so. My feelings still bother me and yesterday I thank God for a group of friends to have dinner with. Otherwise I would have felt really flat.

But why do we draw so much nearer to God and felt His closeness so much more only in times of trial? I wish in 'normal' days I am clinging on to Him as much as I am now. But each season brings a different thing and although this is a painful time, I am relishing it too because I understood a little better of people who suffered in the past. My current pain is nothing at all when compared to great missionaries and saints of the past but like I said, I understand a little better of what they felt - on how they cling on to God in times of great pain and suffering when they are struck with diseases, their children and wives passing away and various troubles. My disappointment served as an encouragement to me to walk closer to God, and to run with perseverance the race marked out for me.

Like my friend said, "It was not too late nor too slow. It was all in God's timing." I couldn't agree more. It was in God's good timing and providence that I was able to share, get an answer, understood it all, and to love Him better. He had a marvellous purpose, He orchestrate the events and He allowed me to go through it that I might know my heart and Christ better. Yea, looking back, the events that have occurred cannot be a coincidence. In fact, if it wasn't for God's hand in it, I might have gotten it worse. So thanks be to God! for He is faithful and good. Amen.

No comments: