Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Oh Timor. Hau hadomi O (I love you)

Today is a busy day of packing my stuffs. This is one thing I dislike the most, i.e. having to move house. As I begin to throw away unwanted items and organize many others, I came across some unknown CDs and DVDs. One of them was written "East Timor Video 1 & 2". The words didn't ring a bell so I decided to stop my packing and watch the DVD.

It was April 27 to May 1 2006. The situation in East Timor was volatile and as the team arrived, we were caught in the middle of a riot. Houses were torched and mobs were walking around the streets with machete. We managed to turn around and went past the eastern roads before it got blocked too. We could see smoke from burning houses rising high as we drove up the hills to Bacau and Los Palos. It was a very sad sight.

The eastern part was peaceful. The medical team was able to help many Timorese and the rest of the team cheer up the villagers with balloons and songs. There were children everywhere - smiling and grinning at us as if they never knew poverty or the state the country is in. They were full of innocence, energy and life - they had so much potential, so much good in them. The video went on to challenge the audience to respond. "God has spoken. Is He speaking to you?", "Children children children everywhere. My heart cries every time I see them", "A part of me was left behind in the village when I left". As I continue to watch and remember the people, I began to wept.

I wept that we are so far off and so helpless to help. I wept that the people have only seen us, their friends only once, and perhaps never to see us again. I wept that there are so many children who will be growing up in a lost world. I wept that there are a lack of workers who will bring the good news to them that all their needs might be met. I wept that it has been almost 2 years since I last talk to a Timorese and laugh with them. I wept because God is filling my heart once again with His love for them. I just wept again and again over those faces - every single one of them, so precious in the sight of God.

"O God. How long must I tarry on? Forgive my impatience. Please send workers, even I, that your will be done. That your love will bind the wounds of the broken-hearted, and your power will set them free. Please Lord. Please Lord. Have mercy on them and on us.

1 comment:

bathmate said...

Thank you for your nice posting.
it is really helpful to us.
such a nice topics.

Bathmate