Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Humility and the Restful Heart

Excerpt from the book, Companion to the Poor, in italics
In Andrew Murray's definition of humility, it is a perfect quietness of the heart; it is never sore or irritated or disappointed. It is to expect nothing, to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to be at rest when nobody praises me and when I am blamed and despised.

Such a high order yet Christ show us it is attainable by His example. And a great many saints displayed this too, except that none was perfect except for Christ. What struck me most is - "to be at rest when I am blamed and despised".

The human nature is such that we instinctively defend ourselves or get worked up when we are blamed and despised. Our ego cries out for "fairness" and seek to defend its right to look good. It cannot withstand false accusations, wrongful blame and hard sayings.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying we should not explain ourselves in sticky situations but in a lot of matters, there is actually no need to defend ourselves. If you think hard enough about the battles you have fought before, you realised that you could actually brush most of them aside for the sake of peace.

But sometimes, it is really so hard to bite the bullet isn't it? But thanks be to God for His perfect example. I will seek to follow Christ in all His ways and imitate His way of life through the help of the Holy Spirit. I will bow down and submit to you Lord, and my heart shall be at rest.

"When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly." - 1 Peter 2:23

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." - Romans 12:18

No comments: