Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Revival in Troubled Times

"Enlarge the place of your tent,
stretch your tent curtains wide,
do not hold back;
lengthen your cords,
strengthen your stakes" ~ Isaiah 54:2

"God, are you sure I am hearing right?", I asked. At this junction, this verse is certainly very puzzling. I thought the tent is looking shaky and need some repair work, but You want us to enlarge it? As I ponder, God seems to say, "Why not? Look at the bible. Did revival happen in pleasant times or troubled times?"

Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt - What happened before that? "...I have heard them crying out...I am concerned...I have come down to rescue them..", the LORD said. (Exodus 3:7-10). Then I remembered the book of Judges - God raised up judges to deliver His people whenever His people are suffering greatly and cried out to Him. Nehemiah cried out to the Lord and the Lord rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem in the midst of great adversity. The disciples did not know what to do after Jesus ascended to heaven but they were constantly praying together (Acts 1:14) and as we know, the Holy Spirit came on Pentecost and revival hit the land. The times were even harder in Acts chapter 8, but as we read, the Kingdom of God expanded even further in the midst of persecution.

So what's so strange about this verse in troubled times? Nothing. It is only strange to us because we have made God soooo small in our eyes. Forgive us Lord. Rally us to pray and cry out to you like never before. I know you will hear us. Yes Lord, you will hear us. And you will work great wonders before our teary eyes.

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." ~ Joshua 1:9

No comments: